How to Choose the Right Concrete Floor Sealers for Your Garage
Concrete is a porous material that absorbs water, gas, oil and any liquid chemicals that gets on the concrete surface. These liquids will eventually damage the concrete surface. A sealer can protect concrete from any damage.
Liquids absorb by concrete will make the surface dusty or chalky. They will eventually cause the concrete to peel or pop. Applying the right concrete floor sealer for garage will prevent this damage from happening.
Applying a concrete sealer on your garage floor will also protect the floor from oil spills, stains, road salt, harmful chemicals and freezing temperatures. Sealing will also make it easier to clean and maintain the floor as well as extend its life span.
There are two types of garage floor sealers and choosing the right one for your garage floor will keep it protected for years.
- Topical sealers include epoxy coatings, acrylics, polyaspartics and polyurethanes.
- Topical sealers are floor coatings or film forming sealers. They can be colored to transform the look of the concrete floor. They can also come as clear sealers. Clear sealers enhance stained concrete colors and improve the look of bare concrete.
- Topical sealers adhere well to the concrete surface.
- Concrete densifiers are basically used for adding strength and polishing concrete that has just been poured.
- Siliconate sealer is more commonly used in driveways and sidewalks. This sealer will also work well for your garage concrete floor if your purpose is just to seal the concrete floor and not alter its looks.
Choosing the Right Garage Floor Sealer
Sealing the garage concrete surface is one of the more popular flooring options available. In choosing the right garage floor sealer your goal is to protect the bare and gray concrete while giving it a more appealing appearance at the most cost effective manner.
When you choose the right sealer for your garage floor you stand to enjoy a lot of benefits. It can be a challenge to keep your garage floor looking good and clean. Since concrete is a porous material stains and moisture will penetrate the concrete surface making it difficult to clean.
The best garage floor concrete sealer will have these qualities:
- Keep moisture and water from penetrating the concrete surface.
- Resistant to dirt, grease, oil, stains and chemicals to make concrete floor easy to clean and maintain.
- Enhance the appearance of the garage concrete floor.
- Add sheen to the concrete surface ranging from satin to high gloss levels.
- Enrich the intensity of the color of concrete regardless of whether color was applied through a dying or staining.
- Protect the concrete surface from wear and abrasion.
To be able to enjoy all these benefits, you should choose the tight concrete floor sealer for garage. There are a lot of sealers available in the market for all kinds of concrete application. There is no one sealer that is ideal for all concrete floor applications.
You need to be careful in choosing the right concrete floor sealer for garage because a wrong choice or improper application will cause damage to the installation of your decorative concrete.
To single out the right sealing system for your garage floor take these factors into consider:
- Appearance. Sealers are available in different levels of sheen. They range from satin sheen to high gloss. The higher the level of gloss, the richer the color becomes.
- Safety. The sealer must have slip resistant properties. It should also not emit harmful fumes when applied.
- Performance. The sealer should be able to protect the concrete floor from foot traffic, heavy loads and elements in the environment. The sealer should also be compatible with the decorative treatment you are trying to apply whether it is a color applied topically or an overlay.
Cost should as much as possible not be a factor to consider for the most part.
It is important to remember that decorative concrete application should always include installation of a sealer. The sealer is the final layer of protection for concrete surfaces. It is meant to preserve the appearance of your decorative concrete floor and also to extend its lifespan.
Here are a few tips to help you choose the right concrete floor sealer for your garage.
A professional flooring contractor can help you choose the right concrete floor sealer for your garage.
- Resin coatings such as epoxy coatings, acrylics, polyaspartics and polyurethanes are resistance to moisture when properly installed. The presence of moisture will however cause the sealer to pull up the concrete or peel.
It is best to conduct a moisture test before applying the sealer. More so when you suspect any moisture issues or there are signs that show the presence of moisture in the concrete surface.
- If you are inclined toward acrylic sealers ensure that the solid content of the sealer is above 25% of the entire product formulation. Make sure to apply a maximum of only two coats.
- Determine the breathability of the sealers.
- Know how long it will take for the sealer to cure and be open to foot traffic. Acrylic sealers are the fastest drying of all sealers. You can apply a second coat after about 30 minutes to an hour.
The most important consideration in choosing the right concrete sealer for your garage floor is the surface appearance and finish you want to achieve. If you for instance want to enhance the look of colored finishes, opt for a sealer that comes with a medium to high gloss finish.
Most of the acrylic sealers available come with different levels of sheen. Acrylics that are solvent-based bring out a better color that their water-based counterparts.
When deciding on what sealer to use on your garage concrete floor, the purpose of the sealer should be clear. Topical sealers will seal and alter the appearance of the concrete surface. Penetrating sealers will only seal the concrete floor but will maintain its original appearance.
Whatever type of sealer you choose for your garage concrete floor, a good sealer will be able to care and provide your garage concrete floor with a great finish.
Did you find this article helpful? Please visit our website Florida Epoxy Pros or you can also check out Are You Looking for Safe, Comfortable and Affordable Garage Flooring?